NameSarah Parker “Sally” Hiscock7,431,33,34,35
Birth18 Dec 1824, Farmington, Franklin Co., Maine432,433
Death13 May 1867, Little Sioux, Harrison Co., Iowa7
BurialLittle Sioux Cemetery, Little Sioux, Harrison Co., Iowa
Burial Memofindagrave #113019691
FatherThomas Hiscock Jr. (1795-1842)
MotherSally Parker (1800-1826)
Spouses
Birth17 Jul 1819, Newark, Essex Co., New Jersey7
Baptism3 Feb 1842, Ohio426
Death27 Oct 1879, Little Sioux, Harrison Co., Iowa7
Burial29 Oct 1879, Little Sioux Cemetery, Little Sioux, Harrison Co., Iowa
Burial Memofindagrave #113019540
FatherJeptha Condit , 164 (1767-~1820)
MotherCharlotte Smith (1782-1854)
Marriage27 Sep 1844, Delaware Co., Ohio434
ChildrenMary Angline (Died as Child), 1648 2 (1845-1848)
 John Henry , 1648 3 (1847-1940)
 Leonard Merry , 1648 4 (1850-1912)
 Sarah Mariah , 1648 5 (1852-1895)
 Cordelia (Died as Infant), 1648 6 (1855-1855)
 Julia Adaline , 1648 7 (1856-1925)
 Silas Dana , 1648 8 (1859-1931)
 Frederick T. (Died as Infant), 1648 9 (1866-1867)
Notes for Sarah Parker “Sally” Hiscock
Mentioned in his grandfather’s will, “Sally Hiscock who now lives with me.”447
Was a niece of Silas Whitehead Condit’s first wife.
Notes for Silas Whitehead (Spouse 1)
Silas was a shoemaker by trade. In early life he went to Ohio, and settled in Sunbury, where his first child was born. He moved to Nauvoo, Illinois in about 1843 where he borrowed money from the church to build a house that is still standing in Nauvoo. In the spring of 1847, after the troubles after the the death of Joseph Smith the Prophet, he went West to the town of Kainsville, now Council Bluffs, on the Missouri River. After the death of his brother Amos he decided to leave Kanesville and in the spring of 1848 he placed his family and a few household goods in a wagon drawn by oxen and started north to the valley at the junction of the Missouri and Little Sioux Rivers. There were no roads or bridges, and rivers were crossed by fording or on rafts. He settled near what is now Little Sioux, Iowa, and built a log house covered with bark from cottonwood trees. There were no windows and the door was of split planks put together with wooden pins. The fireplace was built of sod. For some time his only neighbors were Indians, as this region was the hunting ground of several tribes. They were often in danger from the Indians, but while a family only seven miles away were killed and their house burned, they were not injured. The Indians called him "Tunger-maw-he," meaning Big Knife. The clothing of the family was made by his wife from skins which he tanned. Their provisions were such as they could raise, shoot, or catch in the streams. He had a corn mill, which was operated by a crank turned by hand. This was fastened to a tree, the hopper holding about a peck of shelled corn. It was called Condit's Mill by their few white neighbors, who came from miles around with their shelled corn to grind their grist. He was appointed the first postmaster in Harrison County, Iowa, at Little Sioux. He was also the first justice of the peace, and as such performed the first marriage ceremony in the county. On this occasion he was dressed in a new suit of buckskin made by his wife. He killed the deer and tanned the hides. The thread was dried sinews from the deer's spine. He would work his farm, sell enough of his produce to pay his expenses and go out and preach the gospel until his money was gone, come back for another supply and go out again. He died Oct. 27, 1879, in Little Sioux, Iowa, a strong believer in Christ and his church.7

Deed from Joseph Smith to Silas W. Condit for southeast quarter of lot number four in block number 119 in the City of Nauvoo, IL dated 9 Nov 1843, recorded 6 December 1843.445

Walked from Little Sioux, IA to Council Bluffs, IA along with several others, to vote in the 1852 Presidential elections.446

PROPERTY
Nauvoo : Block 119, Lot 4, E/2 of S/2
Kimball 1st: Block 5, Lot 46, SE Corner tenant

NAUVOO RECORDS:
Nauvoo Temple Endowment Register pg 114
70's Record, pg 164
Members, LDS, 1830-1848, by Susan Easton Black, Vol 11, p 292-294

HISTORY/HISTORIES:
Picture Silas Condit home
Early Members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Susan Easton Black, Vol 2, p 265-266

Silas Whitehead Condit joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 3 February 1842 in Ohio, being baptized by John Riggs. He was ordained an elder by Hyrum Smith and John P. Greene. He was ordained a seventy and later endowed in the Nauvoo Temple on 7 January 1846. Silas was a resident of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in 1840 and of Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, from 1843-1846. During these years he earned his living as a shoemaker.
He was baptized and confirmed a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by J. McIntosh. He was appointed to serve a mission by the General Conference of 1863. He was ordained an evangelist.
Source: Early Reorganization Minutes, 1852-1871, Book A, pp. 90, 126, 428, 433, 575
Last Modified 28 Jun 2015Created 2 Dec 2016 using Reunion for Macintosh